Monday, February 13, 2006

Topic Selection

Now that we have a blog, we must decide what to blog about (about what to blog? I think my friend, the Editrix, would prefer I didn't end my sentences with prepositions). From my surveying of various blogs, I have noticed most people write about what is going on in their lives in an attempt to share some wisdom, make their readers laugh, spark thoughtful debate or plain old vent about a rough day.

I must warn you that my first post will fall into that last category. I didn't get into the blogging business with my best friend to rant and rave about the rough patch I am currently experiencing. But you write what you know, right? And the story that follows, unfortunately for me, is what I know right now.

I can’t even go to the grocery store without something ridiculous happening to me. About two months ago, my boyfriend of a year and a half (alias: treehugger) broke up with me. These past two months have been spent crying, drinking and moaning on my couch (in When Harry Met Sally fashion). We still talked occasionally over email but we didn’t see each other because he kept telling me “It is too hard for me to see you right now.” And I believed him. He convinced me he was hurting as much as I was.

Last weekend, we finally saw each other at a mutual friend’s Super Bowl Party. I arrived first, frantically taking inventory of who was already present and noticed that Treehugger wasn’t there yet. I positioned myself between two friends and kept one eye on the arrivals. Finally, TH arrived. He looked skinny. Not that he was ever very big but his jeans were falling off him and his face looked gaunt. After about 15 minutes, wondering if he is going to get the nerve to come up to me, I finally bit the bullet and went up to him. I said “Hey TH” and I must have caught him off guard because he answered in this weird falsetto of a voice that I had never heard before. I panicked and ran back to the comfort of my side of the room. Then I received a text message from him complimenting me on the cupcakes I had brought to the party. A TEXT MESSAGE? Newsflash – TH, you are 28 years old and we are in someone’s living room. We then proceed to have an elaborate discussion without ever having to look at each other. He reiterated that this situation was really hard on him too. I left the party knowing that while the break up was the right thing to do, we were both having a hard time adjusting. Just knowing that was a source of incredible comfort to me.

Fast forward: 6 days. Saturday morning, I wake up and my roommate and I decide to head to Whole Foods to stock up for the pending snowstorm. I grabbed a sandwich from the deli counter and decided to check out the free cheese samples. I rounded a corner only to be confronted with TH.

Me (heart racing, in my own high pitched voice): Hey.
TH (looking sheepish): Hey.
Me: I am just looking for the Parrano (fyi: best cheese sample offered at Whole Foods).
TH: Oh, they don’t have any out right now.
Girl sidles up next to TH and looks at me. I look at her, look back at TH, look back at her and the reality of the situation dawns on me…He is grocery shopping with his new girlfriend.
Me: Oh my G*d.

And that was it. I found my roommate; she paid for our sandwiches while I ran for the comfort of my car. I am still reeling from the situation. After some investigative work by my roommate, we discovered that *the girl* is a girl from his office whom I have heard him mention many times in the past. She was in the Peace Corps. Great, a do-gooder.

Two days after the encounter, I am still plagued with questions. When did they get together? Did he cheat on me with her? Is it serious? Are they going to get married? Why didn’t any of my so called friends tell me? Why didn’t he tell me he was seeing someone else instead of saying how hard everything was on him?

I still can’t believe it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home