Monday, February 20, 2006

Weekend Wrap Up

Weekend Wrap-up

This weekend, I attended my first “couples shower”. I have been to more than my fair share of bridal showers, and hosted a total of four, but this was my first co-ed shower. The guests were heavily coupled off but that is to be expected when we are talking about my college friends. A couples shower, it turns out, is essentially an adult party with a dress code and gifts. At times, I forgot the occasion that had brought everyone together because, unlike a girls-only bridal shower, with its chorus of ooohs and aaahs over every detail, the guests just hung out, ate, and drank with little fanfare. The most stressful part of the event was deciding what to wear. The hostess forbade jeans, which is my standard weekend attire and this dress restriction really threw me for a loop. I spent my Friday night scouring closets of similarly shaped friends for options. The hostess told me she was wearing a dress and I could not figure out what type of dress one wears in the winter. I kept thinking of jumpers. You know those long dress and turtleneck combos from Laura Ashley that used to be popular? That was the image I had stuck in my mind. Was everyone at the party going to be dressed like my first grade teacher? Thankfully, no…turns out I am just weird and no jumpers were spotted at the party. Sometimes, the way my mind works scares the bejeezus out of me!

Yesterday, I went to the Wake Forest-Carolina basketball game. *Sigh* is pretty much all I can say about the game. Wake is currently last place in the ACC with an absolutely abysmal record. We played a great first half, our shots were falling, our defense had intensity…but the second half was just plain awful. I wish I could explain how painful it was to watch. I have been a huge Justin Gray fan since he arrived at Wake: he plays with such fire and shoots the basketball with grace and determination. But, yesterday, his frustration was palpable to me, up on the 2nd tier of the Coliseum. The team just wants to win, but can’t seem to put the pieces together to make it happen. Poor shot selection, lack of rebounding and turnovers plague the team. The rumors are rampant that the current coach, Skip Prosser might leave. I am torn as to what I want to happen. Skip has done wonders for the atmosphere in the Coliseum, has brought national recognition to our team and its players and is a wonderful representative of the University. But, just like the team, I want to win. And I am starting to wonder if Skip can still make that happen.

Tonight…..is dinner with the twins and 24. The twins are great guy friends of mine, one of whom is dating my roommate and the other is not dating my roommate because technically only one can. Tonight, I am crashing their usual party of three. My contribution: Winter-spiced Chocolate Molten Cakes.

Happy President’s Day!

1 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger The Bionic Babe said...

Just popping over to return the hello. Right out of school, my best friend (a fellow lawyer) and I had a shared blog. She's now at jaxpeach.blogspot.com. Anyway, yes, it is nice to hear that you're not the only one feeling like crap after a break-up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home