Monday, February 05, 2007

Super blah

So, yesterday was the Super Bowl. Last year's party at Penn State Fan's house was rather awkward so I decided to skip it this year. I knew Treehugger would be there, most likely with his girlfriend and I just wasn't up for it. The Editix did attend however and this morning she reported that Treehugger has a big beard and his girlfriend is best described as frumpy.

Of course he has a beard. He likes to have a beard in the winter. I never liked the beard though - it was rough and scratchy and he always got food stuck in it. So, I would encourage shaving. He has a nice face and the beard made him look not like my boyfriend, but like a lumberjack. It was a beautiful color though - a deep auburn that many girls envied.

And the girlfriend is frumpy. Which makes me laugh through my unexpected tears. Because, if there is one thing that Jersey is not, well, that's frumpy. I wear Seven jeans, carry a Kate Spade bag, and wear BCBG heels. I love clothes and always put thought into what I wear. Frumpy? Never. Well, except maybe in the 90s when big plaid button downs were stylish. But even then my flannel shirts were from JCrew.

Maybe this is what makes him happy. Having a beard and a girlfriend who is apparently oblivious to fashion. She probably doesn't nag him about how the beard scratches her perfectly moisturized by Kiehl's lotion face. Or points out that the green tshirt with the blue striped pants is just a little bit too much. Maybe the fact that he is with someone who is so completely the opposite of me should make me feel better. Help me to realize that it really wasn't right. Stop myself from feeling sad and miss him. But it doesn't.

I realize this post makes him sound a bit like a boyfriend who put up with a nagging girlfriend who couldn't just accept him for who he was. Maybe I couldn't. I certainly couldn't accept the lying and the cheating. Despite my protests, my heart still skipped a beat when he showed up at my house in a mismatched outfit, with converse sneakers from ten years ago, and a serious five o'clock shadow.

2 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger A. Marigold said...

Chin up! If you were so mismatched, the lying and the cheating were how he is letting you be free to find someone better suited to you.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i say frumpy, i mean seriously frumpy. like "what not to wear" frumpy. i look better when i get out of bed in the morning than she did at that party.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home