Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Oh, the joys

Of having a crappy week and having to put up with this guy.

Me: “Can you go through this trial transcript and flag every time the word opinion is used? There is a word index in the back, so it shouldn’t take too long.”

Cabana Boy: “Sure! Great! Sounds like awesomeness!”

I walk by Cabana Boy a while later and notice that he is barely ¼ of the way through Day One. Of Three.

Me: “How’s it going?” I ask this while staring pointedly at his computer where there appears to be five gmail chat conversations taking place.

Cabana Boy: “Oh, pretty slow.” With an apparent sigh.

Me: “Well, are you using the word index that I mentioned? You know, the thing in the back, where they list out every word found in the transcript and give you page cites for it?”

Cabana Boy: “Oh, yeah, didn’t know about that! But no worries! I see now! And I will get moving!! This is awesomeness!”

Another hour or so passes. Cabana Boy returns the transcript to me. With not nearly as many flags as I had anticipated. I eye the transcript rather suspiciously because it does not have nearly as many flags as I expected.

Me: “So, there is a flag every time that the word opinion is used in the transcript?”

Cabana boy: “Well, no. I only flagged the times I thought were important!”

Silence. As “using his judgment” was not at all part of my instructions, I just stared back at him.

Me: “So, this is not every time?”

Cabana Boy: “No! But it is all the important times! That’s all you need!”

Me: “Um…okay.”

Cabana Boy: “So, should I come in at 9 or 10 on Thursday?!?!”

Me: “I honestly don’t care when you come in on Thursday.”

Cabana Boy: “Great! 9 it is! See you then!”

Okay, rant concluded. And for the record, I have complained to Judge about his incompetence. And so has my supervisor, Cool Mom. But Judge, fearing the wrath of his daughter if he fires her good friend, refuses to do anything about it.

Awesome.

1 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger A. Marigold said...

I HATE men who can't stand up to their children. So that makes, your judge, and my mom's boyfriend. So much hate!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home