Thursday, March 01, 2007

Bad sign?

Yesterday I sent an email to four associates at the Big Firm I am going to start working for in the fall. The bar association was having a happy hour right near Big Firm's office and seeing as I am a board member and needed to attend, I decided to invite the four associates. Four associates that were a big part of my decision to take the job because they were super friendly, told it to me straight, and I thought would make great co-workers.


Not one of them responded to my email. I have thought of a few reasons for the lack of response:

1) They are all way too busy to even look up from their work to read non-work related emails.
2) They read it, but chose not to respond because while they sold me on Big Firm during the interviews, they have no intention of being my new work best friends.
3) All of the associates are trapped under something heavy, read my emails on their Crackberries, desperately wanted to email me back but were physically unable to respond.

I know, Option #2 is totally wacky. But I am one of those people who always has been lucky enough to have friends at work. At every job I've ever had, I've always had someone to eat lunch with, grab a beer with, and of course, gossip with about everyone else in the office. In my sadness about them not responding, I am trying to keep in mind that finding friends at work is never instantaneous and often takes weeks or months to develop.

If it is Option #1, I am equally as nervous. I know I am going to be working a lot, but hopefully not so much that I can't shoot off a two sentence reply to an email about beers. If I won't be able to do that, how on earth will I squeeze in blogging?

And Option #3 was blatantly stolen from When Harry Met Sally. But, maybe they are at an all associate retreat that doesn't allow contact with the outside world. Way more plausible than a filing cabinet falling on all four of them.

4 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jersey! Wanted to give you a shout out after just reading your blog for the first time in a while. I'm sure your New Friends are excited to be your New Friends. None of your 3 options are particularly sunny, but hang in there. You'll find out soon enough. It's Friday and I don't want to work...

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you ever read The Anonymous Lawyer?

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mrs. dw! i miss you :(

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know your new best friends love you. Maybe they are all out of town on a hot breaking case, and talking about how much they wish you were there with them to work on it and then go drinking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home