Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Fire drill

Yesterday around 5:15 pm, I was reviewing an application for a concealed weapon permit...something the Virginia General Assembly would like judges to hand out rather liberally - "You are 75 years old and your handwriting is a little shaky? No biggie!" and "You took a two hour class at the NRA and now consider yourself competent with a gun? Sounds good!" and my all time favorite, "Your proof of residency is an eviction notice possibly suggesting you may have a grudge against your landlord? Go ahead and keep that gun in your glove compartment!" I also like when married couples both apply for permits. As in "Okay, honey, you can carry a concealed weapon, but I can too so don't get any ideas."

But back to yesterday at 5:15 pm. I was in the zone, reviewing orders, when the fire alarm started blaring. Now, the last time we had a fire drill, I was stuck outside for a long time in the freezing cold with Miss Sunshine. Yesterday was even colder so I debated whether or not I should just pack up and go home. I decided to ignore the obnoxious alarm, complete with evacuation orders and flashing lights, and keep plowing through my orders. Then, I got a call from a fellow law clerk who had just left the building and it appeared to her that there really was some sort of emergency. So, I hastily packed up my bag and decided to leave. I was a little nervous as I went down the stairs because there really was no one left in the building. I headed for the main exit when a deputy stopped me and told me that I couldn't exit that way. Hmpf. He directed me around the corner and told me to exit through the jail. Not a problem, I thought, as I had come and gone through the jail in the early morning hours once or twice before, all without incident. I walked down the ramp and opened the door that lead from the courthouse to the jail. I had entered some sort of prisoner staging area because I was greeted rather cheerfully by three men in orange jumpsuits. As in inmate jumpsuits. I returned the greetings and looked around for some deputies. Or guards. Or pretty much ANYONE WHO WAS KEEPING AN EYE ON THESE MEN TO MAKE SURE THEY DIDN'T USE THE FIRE ALARM AS AN EXCUSE TO RUN OFF WITH ME! Alas, I saw no one, realized this was more than a little disturbing and quickened my pace toward the stairwell. As I went into the stairwell, I stole another glance the inmates who were still staring at me in what I am sure was a harmless and friendly way, and only then did I notice another man lurking in the corner talking on his cell phone. Now, he was not dressed in uniform or anything, but I felt confident that if the inmates did decide to go all Prison Break on me, that Mr. Cell Phone would have my back. Rather than stick around to find out, I got the heck out of the jail and made it safely to my car and eventually home.

2 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you ever noticed how expensive the veding machines are over there by the jail? ffx county is totally gorging the prisoners and their families for every dime

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was paying a parking ticket a few weeks ago at the courthouse and randomly went to watch a trial -- so exciting, and my own dorky little field trip! and i saw the prisoners being led around and one set of ladies was SHACKLED TO EACH OTHER. i didn't know they did that anymore. they looked pretty rough. it takes a lot of effort, or at least a hairbrush, to look good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home