Thursday, February 23, 2006

Under the Influence

A former flame of mine had a great idea for a phone. When the owner of the phone had too much to drink, the phone would prevent the owner from making a call, except to 911, of course...this former flame was really big on personal safety.

I am sorry but your call cannot be completed as dialed. You have had too much to drink and I fear if I connect your call, you will say something embarrassing, incomprehensible or offensive that you will only regret tomorrow. Seriously, put the phone down and go eat some pizza.

Yes, I realize that it is not my phone's responsibility to keep me from placing late night bedrunken phone calls but maybe hearing that from my phone would snap me out of my state, convince me to put down my phone and send me looking for that pizza.

He also had the idea to allow the owner of the phone to make a call but announce to the receiver the caller’s inebriated state, thereby warning the receiver of the possible ramifications of answering.

The person making this call is on her 8th beer, is wobbling slightly and is slurring her speech. Press 1 to answer. Press 2 to send this call to voicemail.

With the advent of text messaging, I need this device now more than ever. Drunk texting might be more damaging than drunk dialing...with the drunk dial, fate may intervene and the receiver of the call may not answer. Oftentimes, when I drunk dial, hearing the person's voicemail greeting snaps me back to reality and I rarely leave a message, providing me with a ready excuse the next day if intended receiver were to confront me [You have a missed call from me? Hmm...sometimes, my phone calls people from my purse by accident. Sorry!]. But I can't blame my phone for text messaging...there are no demonic elves residing in my purse, flipping open my phone and sending out non-sensical and/or inappropriate texts. Or at least no one would believe me if I tried to use that line.

I guess the solution is to stop drinking. GASP. Not the time for such drastic life changes, people. Maybe I will just start leaving my phone at home.

3 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger girllawyer said...

I have found that it is helpful to erase the numbers of ex boyfriends from your phone altogether. If I'm too drunk to recall it from memory, I probably don't need to talk to them. It's a good system.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger jersey said...

well, GDN, seems like you are fishing for me to tell WHY i am posting about drunk dialing. nice try, but not quite ready to go there. i will work on compiling my greatest hits for a later post- great suggestion!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Mischa said...

Once I got a rather tipsy and sent a text to my ex saying, "I'm Tony the Tiger and I feel grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat cos you suck".....He didn't reply thank gawd!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home