Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Part 1 of ?

What a weekend. The birthday festivities that lasted a few extra days were truly special. Friday night, I played hostess to a bunch of random friends at a local bar. While it was great to see people, it is also hard when you, the star of the show, are the only person that a guest knows. The first hour I was very good about the, “This is AKM, she and I went to law school together, and now she works for a firm in Fairfax”, and “This is the Editrix, she and I went to college together, now she is in publishing.” That whole tying people together thing didn’t last very long. Although I tried to create a love connection. I have this guy friend, Penn State Fan, who has not dated a single girl in the five plus years that I have known him. And, girls, he is completely dateable. He is a tad shorter than me, (but let’s face it, lots of guys are), he is sweet, smart, has a great job, and tells a great story. He is terrified of girls though. Whenever we go out on the town, he gravitates towards those girls who are “safe”, the ones who are dating his friends, married to his friends or so established as his friends to not be an option. I can tell he is envious of his brother’s relationship with my roommate but he seems incapable of doing anything about it. He says something will happen when it happens. But last time I checked, finding *it* does require one to invest time in another person, to take a chance on love, and possibly to fall flat out on our faces. We’ve all done it, sometimes it royally sucks, but everyone knows that when we do find *it*, we will remember all the past crap with a roll of the eyes and possibly a smack on the forehead. A “What was I thinking?” type moment.

So, I invited a perfectly lovely girl out on Friday night, with the hopes of introducing her to PSF. Subtlety is not my strong suit when I’ve been drinking, nor do any of PSF’s friends quite grasp the concept. We may have embarrassed him some. His friends were being rather obvious, and well, frankly, I probably was too. I guess his notion of something happening doesn’t involve me throwing a girl at him. But hey! Do most guys really complain about that? This one did. I wouldn’t complain if my friends threw cute boys at me. So, to all my friends who read this, where are my cute boys??

Friday night ended with AKM and me, alone at a table, planning our eventual takeover of the world. It is coming, kids. This is your official warning. Our world will consist of no leggings, skinny jeans, or long knit sweaters cinched at the waist with large leather belts. While I stayed up until 4 am on Saturday dancing to 80s music, I refused to acknowledge that 80s fashion has returned. Having just returned from a very fashionable city, I am sad to report that it is indeed 1985 in New York City. And worse yet, it is not a flattering look on most people. Now, I love love love fashion. I love love love clothes and I read Vogue, InStyle and the like. I am not on top of every trend but I can hold my own. This weekend, I declared myself unfashionable and proud. My jeans were perfectly bootcut, my shirt the appropriate length, and my heels, pointy and metallic. Maybe fashion has passed me by, but I am okay with it.

Oh, I must share this. Mrs. DW and the Editrix know of my obsession with all things Bobby Flay. Of Food Network fame?? No? Well, he is fabulous. And, I must say his restaurant was fabulous as well. And everyone there clearly thought we were celebrities. I am serious!! I guess mainly tourists are attracted to a restaurant owned by a celebrity chef and tourists in NYC are always hoping to run into famous people, but both the Editrix and I noticed that people at the tables surrounding us kept looking over at us. We were that hot. Despite our fashion faux pas.

More on the weekend coming soon. Thereare lots more to be told, and some crazy wacky work stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home