Thursday, October 05, 2006

Weather

I blame today's general apathy on the gloomy weather that has just descended on the DC area and intends to stick around for a few days. I have absolutely no desire to do any work today. None. Luckily, my judge is out of town, so things are nice and slow. The past few days I spent working on ahabeass corpus petition. For those who don't know, habeas corpus is what a person in jail, or detained by the government in some way, files as petition to the court that essentially says "Hey, I dont' belong in jail. Let me out." Unfortunately, very few petitions have merit, and most often get dismissed with very little fanfare. One that recently (okay, a few months ago but who is counting? Actually, the guy in jail is probably counting which is what finally kept me here late on Monday finishing it up) came across my desk caught my attention though. Something about the amount of time the Defendant had served was not right. While math is not my strong suit, the numbers just didn't add up to me. I pointed this out to my judge, who agreed, and granted the prisoner a hearing. I was happy because it is nice to do something at work that actually positively influences people. Helping people obtain divorces just doesn't have that same warm your heart type feeling. There is something disconcerting about a person telling you that he (or she) is off to get wasted now that the divorce is final. I want to warn them that perhaps that attitude will only land them in the middle of another situation from which they will need the court's help to extricate themselves. Sigh.


So, I haven't been all that productive today. Just not really feeling it. I think I might skip out early and go shopping. Lots of fun birthday plans in the next few days that require cute outfits. Tomorrow night is dinner with Cheeky Co-worker, his wife and my Sister. Then, it is off to the local Irish bar where I will drink a few beers, tell everyone how I used to have the Unicorn song on a record, and fumble my way through the hand signals. Saturday morning, the Editrix and I are hitting the Big Apple, where we will meet up with Mrs. DW and hit the town in search of boys to put us on scholarship (read: buy us the overpriced drinks Manhattan has to offer). Sunday, my dad will fetch me from the East Village and bring me to my parents' house, which I haven't set foot in since Christmas of last year. My couch and I have some catching up to do.

Yes, lots of plans. And lots of plans require lots of clothes. I am officially leaving early today to shop.

1 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger BlueEyedGirl said...

I lurve the unicorn song. Enjoy the birthday -- shopping, dinners, cute outfits, green alligators, and all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home