Monday, February 27, 2006

Irrationality Abounds

Just so y'all know what I'm talking about when I refer to Big Firm Life, I will let you in on our most recent brush with complete and utter insanity.

Last Wednesday, the head of Hubby's "group" (aka: division) at LifeSucker emailed to tell him that he was to meet with GroupHead and Mentor (both partners in Hubby's group) on Friday at 3pm. Now, normally, such a meeting would cause a measly associate to hem and haw and anxiously await the news that she or he caused some humongous disaster costing the firm's biggest client millions of dollars. Hubby is so burnt out that when I began the inquiry into what the meeting could possibly be about, he quickly reminded me that it did not matter anymore. What is the worst thing that could happen? If they fired him, at least he'd get a severance package and a couple weeks vacation before heading off to Government Work. (YES, he got an offer!)

With that insight in mind, he bravely went off to work on Friday without a care in his mind. Or no more than the usual pit in his stomach. When he arrived home on Friday, I began an immediate inquisition into the events of the day.

Me: What happened? Did you get fired? Did you get a bonus? Did you mess up something huge?

Hubby: No...nothing really.

Me: Well, why did they call the meeting?

Hubby: Oh, to tell me that I had made some careless mistakes on a Motion for Summary Judgment. But they caught them before it went out.

Me: Really? That was it? I tried to call you at 4:30 to find out how the meeting went, but you didn't answer.

Hubby: Oh, yeah. I didn't get out of the meeting until 4:45.

Me: Didn't it start at 3pm?

Hubby: Yes.

Me: Well, then what took so long? You must have made a lot of mistakes.

Hubby: Not really...just two commas.


SERIOUSLY!!! That was it. Two partners at LifeSucker spent one hour and forty-five minutes "talking" to Hubby because he left out two commas in a 35 page document. Apparently they got all into the "you shouldn't be making these kinds of mistakes 2.5 years into practice". These people are crazy. Do they honestly think that after work 6-7 days a week for 12-24 hours a day, mistakes, such as leaving out commas, should not only be normal but EXPECTED?

The absurdity of it all overwhelms me. Luckily, we will be getting out soon. We're biding our time until Hubby can quit...

3 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger jersey said...

do you remember the show Ed? the whole premise was this guy got fired from his big firm job for leaving a comma out of a contract. he then moved back to stuckeyville and bought a bowling alley. moving to the farm is probably a safer bet for y'all than buying a bowling alley...i don't know how big bowling is in rural TN?!?!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger jersey said...

Ha. I did not know that was the premise of the show...hm...strangely, a bowling alley sounds appealing right now. Amazing what this life will do to ya....=)

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Mischa said...

Good grief...I've got just less than 1.5 years left on my law degree...I'm officially more scared now of getting a job at the end than I was before!! Argh!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home