Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Low maintenance?

I have always considered myself low maintenance. I am at my most comfortable in jeans, a t-shirt, and flip-flops. My ideal night out is sharing a pitcher of beer with friends on the porch of a dive bar. Yes, I drink wine, occasionally wear heels with jeans, and enjoy pedicures. But, basically, I am a laid back, easy going type of girl. The first time the Writer and I went out, he suggested three very different places in an attempt to find out my tastes. The first a hip lounge, the second a swanky hotel bar, the third, an off the beaten path dive bar. Of course, I chose the third. The Writer took this as a sign that I am indeed a laid back, easy going type of girl. He told me that he really liked that about me. Points for me. And points for him for recognizing that laid back is the best way to be.

Well, apparently, his *read* of me convinced him that he needs to make no effort whatsoever to date me. Rather, I receive these lame invites to do things with him (well, if I get to them before he has the chance to rescind them) and I am supposed to be satisfied with that. Well, I am not. Does that mean my perception of myself as low maintenance is off? Does the fact that I would like him to make some sort of plans with me, rather than just invite me to tag along with his friends, make me demanding? I hope not. If you want to date me, then make an effort. Stop suggesting the bar around the corner from your apartment as a meeting spot. There are a million places between where I live and where he lives. Well, perhaps, I should come to terms with the fact that he just doesn't want to date me. That he is only looking to fill a *friends with benefits* type role.

Today's invitation supports this theory. I received this email this morning:

Hope you're having a good day at work. The concert last night was rockin. Me and my friend *girl's name* (and possibly my friend *boy's name* and his lady-friend) are playing quizzo at *bar around the corner from my apartment* tonight around 7pm (when it starts). There's a *slight* chance I may be late--I have a team dinner beforehand, but I'll try to be on time. How's it sound? Lasts until about 10.


Ok, I consider this a crappy invitation. Does that make me high maintenance? I reminded him last night that I was going on vacation this week and would like to get together before I leave. And this is his lame a** reply. My roommate expresses rather eloquently why I should decline:

let me just note the multiple levels of tackiness...

a) gloating about the 'rockin concert' that he dis-invitited you to
b) mentioning that he's going to quizzo with another girl
c) inviting you when he knows he going to be "slightly" late
d) alluding to some 'team' function, team of what? a$$holes?


So, I declined. Did I mention he is shorter than me? Consider the camel's back broken.

1 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

Your disposition toward his half-assedly constructed invitation (sorry, I've been wanting to use "half-assedly" all day) doesn't make you high maintenance. It makes you like-minded with most of society.

If I'm dating a girl, hanging out with a group of people is acceptable and necessary at times (meet the friends), but time alone between the two of us is an absolute must-have - especially if we have just started seeing one another.

It may not mean necessarily that he doesn't want to date you (I don't know the guy, obviously) but maybe that he just has no clue what the expletive he's doing. Either way, if he's not doing what you want, then you're right to move on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home