Friday, March 10, 2006

Go Deacs!

Don't be surprised that I am posting about basketball. This is easily my most *favoritest* time of year! I should just take vacation around this time because I rarely get any work done. Yesterday, the Deacons upset Florida State in the first round of the ACC Tournament. I followed the game on CBSSportsline, which, for fellow fans out there, updates significantly faster than ESPN. That site also has something called a GameLog which provides the running commentary I miss from my friends when I am watching the game at work. Although at one point, the writer of the Glog said Wake Forest really needs to get it together. What an insight. If only the team could figure out what it is!

Now, I know I shouldn't get too excited about this win - Wake will not be going to the NCAA tournament (barring a miracle). But I like that we are coming out fighting - our team showed a lot of heart yesterday. We were down the entire game, often by ten points, but the team refused to give up. They mounted a great comeback in the last four minutes of the game and won the game by 12 points. That refusal to give up makes me incredibly proud to be a Deacon fan. We had such a hard time getting past the four point barrier. We would close to within 4 points and then commit the most ridiculous turnover...Granted, I wasn't watching the game but in my head, I saw our team essentially handing the ball to Al Thornton of FSU and saying "Down by 4! Feels close enough...here you guys have the ball...we will even get out of your way as you drive to the basket".This happened numerous times but we kept fighting. We overcame the 4 point deficit and opened up our own lead. Maybe if I had actually watched the game, I wouldn't be waxing poetic about it as much. But how else do you hang around in a game without throwing in the towel? You gotta have heart. Today at 2:30 pm, we take on our *rival*, N.C. State. Who knows what will happen - I just hope we come out swinging.

If you follow the ACC at all, you know that there are two divisions in the conference, Atlantic and Coastal. Real creative names, huh? Well, a friend of mine suggested an alternative division of the conference: Beer and Wine. The Beer schools: Virginia Tech, Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Maryland, N.C. State. The Wine schools: Duke, UNC, UVA, Boston College, Wake. (I can't quite place Georgia Tech...the Tech part makes me think Beer but something about the fans make me wonder if it isn't more Wine). Tailgating at Wake involves wearing a strapless sundress and heels, sipping chardonnay and nibbling on cheese and crackers. Seriously. The fraternity tailgates have beer and (if you are lucky, potato wedges) but the guys wear ties. TIES! I used to think it was weird but I love it.

I've been to a few tailgates at Penn State with Wayne and the rest of the Penn State fans. And, yes, it is nice to wear jeans and a t-shirt that says I Bleed Blue and White, drink Bud Select and dine on potato chips...but I went to a Wine school. I like the tradition of getting dressed up and treating the tailgate as an occasion in and of itself. Because that is what it is at Wake - it is a TRADITION. Just like playing each game with a lot of heart. And while some traditions may make us an object of ridicule by my Penn State friends, I stand by them. And the Demon Deacons. Bring on the Wolfpack!!

1 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger UVAsuperman said...

I like the patrician/plebian divisions better than what we've got--good system! GT has that beer feel when you think about technical schools, but wine is more appropriate. You see this when you go to a football game there. Half of the fans (so, maybe 2,000 people) are old white men and their old white wives from the "good ole days" of the "wramblin' wreck." They wear pale yellow sweater vests and drive German imports. The other half are uber-nerds, many of whom have never had beer (ok, I confess I was an uber-nerd who didn't drink in undergrad, but that doesn't mean I can't hypocritically condescend now, right?). If forced to drink they'd probably have a glass of wine, and be drunk. Thus, the wine division will do for Tech.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home