Friday, March 03, 2006

Take that, J. Crew

A recent email exchange between Belle and Jersey regarding the ridiculousness that has become J. Crew:

jersey: i am boycotting J.Crew. which is unfortunate for me, since their clothes fit me so well. i discovered last night while perusing the third catalog i have received in as many weeks that they now make flower girl dresses. seriously?? a bride can now outfit her entire wedding party in apparel from J.Crew. what's next - bridal gowns by l.l. bean, complete with matching duck boots?

belle: HAHA. Yes, that is SO TRUE about J.Crew. Used to love it. Now, can't afford it. I DO get like 800 catalogs a year. If they saved money by allowing trees to live, as opposed to becoming another page in a preppy catalog, they could have the same clothes for half the price.

jersey: remember when it was all roll neck sweaters and pocket tees? now it is beaded cashmere cardigans and critter chinos.

belle: WHO BUYS those critter chinos? I have never seen anyone wear them. Ever.

jersey: a girl who went to my law school had a pair. they were the original critter chinos. khaki with the green turtles. something about being an adult and owning a pair of pants that have miniature schnauzers sewn into them is, frankly, just not okay. i just checked online and i think they've stopped making them. or maybe they are a summer only thing? in about 85 catalogs from now, we will have our answer.

belle: they were in last summer’s catalog, so i doubt it. No critters for me, except Deacs.

jersey: a cute gold skirt with little deacon heads all over it? or perhaps just little 'wf's? so much better than mini lobsters.

belle: maybe we should patent the idea to sell to WFU. You know Charlotte [our mutual friend who works for our alma mater] would buy them!

jersey: yes, she would. i think perhaps black chino skirt with gold 'wf's is the best option. while the deacon is an endearing figure to all wake forest fans, to outsiders, he is sometimes viewed as 'creepy old man' or 'scrooge from the xmas carol'.

belle: We could make them for all of the ACC and SEC schools. I freely admit that Southerners are the only people dumb enough to wear them. If we sell them for J.Crew prices, they'd go for about $150 per skirt/shorts. Long pants are more: $175? But the great J.Crew customer service makes it all worth it. Except when they go on sale. "If it ends in '.99' it's NOT RETURNABLE". ugh...

2 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! i have a critter chino skirt. khaki with green turtles. and i happen to think it's adorable! so there :)

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I thought I knew who Belle was but officially figured it out when I read about Deacs. SO the critter skirt. I tried one on and was going to buy it but they didn't have my size. Seriously. Like, in law school. Which is even funnier if you know me. I thought I'd be making quite the statement. I have my moments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home