Thursday, March 09, 2006

Employment Update

So Hubby has accepted a Government Job! Our life has already changed for the better...his notice is in at LifeSucker, and he has not received any new assignments to date. So his work load has decreased and his attitude and demeanor have changed drastically. He is once again the person I first fell in love with...laid-back, happy and FREE. It's wonderful.

So now the search begins for me. I have been putting off finding something until we knew for sure we were staying in the City. I have NO IDEA what to do. But the Clerkship unfortunately ends in August, and thre real world beckons.

Before law school, I thought I'd do something policy-related. I thought I might work for a non-profit. Or a government agency. But in law school, they somehow convince you that if you do well, you go work for a firm. And usually a big one. Now, I have been through enough with Hubby to know for sure that BFL is not for me. But what about a smaller one? With decent hours and great mentors? I feel like if I don't at least TRY practicing law for a little while, I am somehow "selling out". But I really don't think I'll like "practicing" in the traditional sense. Did the career services office really indoctrinate me with the firm stuff, or am I selling out by not giving it a try? Comments, please!

2 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger jersey said...

I don't think you are selling out by not going the firm route. I do think, however, that it is easier to switch from legal to non-traditional legal than the other one around. So, it would make sense to try the traditional legal first, knowing that you can always move into the non-traditional legal sector. Just my .02! :)

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it is selling out if you take a job you think you will be good at and enjoy. You are not locking yourself into anything, you can always do something else if it turns out to be the wrong opportunity!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home