Monday, December 11, 2006

Zsazsazu Later in Life

I went to dinner at my judge’s house the other night. He invited another judge and his spouse and that judge’s law clerk. My judge is a great guy but the real star of the evening was Judge Granddad (so dubbed for his adorable grandfather-esque cardigans). He made the following comments throughout the evening:

“That Johnny sure had a way with the ladies.” (a John McCain reference)

“I mean, why didn’t he just admit that she was a good piece of ass and we would all have gotten over it?” (a Lewinskygate reference)

“You have time for one more martini – we’ve got five minutes.”

“There is a guy out there for you, Jersey. He is looking for a girl who can eat beef. And it appears that girl is you.”

Judge Granddad is a bow tie wearing, gin martini drinking, and shotgun toting Southern gentleman. He went to Virginia for law school and proudly sported a coat and tie to class. He served in the Navy with John McCain. He thinks all wedding starting after 6 p.m. require black tie. Apparently he attended a wedding of one of his old law clerks that started at 6 p.m. and he spent the entire wedding reception giving people directions to the bar because they assumed he was a waiter.

Unfortunately, Judge Granddad only has a few more weeks on the bench because Virginia has a mandatory retirement age. While Judge Granddad thought about challenging the retirement age, his wife is anxious for him to retire. I had never met his wife before, but they were the exact couple that I want to be when I am married at seventy. (This is my blog, so I am permitted to assume I will be married by seventy). While Judge Granddad held court at the dinner table, enchanting all of us with the stories, Mrs. Judge Granddad just sat back in her chair, her fingers twirling the stem of her wine glass, and smiled at him across the table. She too had a sparkling personality and at times, she would interject and engage Judge Granddad in the exact witty banter I strive to have with someone. And they are SEVENTY! For lack of a better word, it was refreshing. Marriages are falling apart all around me (not people I know, just the end of the year divorce rush at work) and here was this fantastic couple, so full of life and love, living my dream. Remember Carrie Bradshaw and her pursuit of the zsazsazu on Sex and the City? That feeling that makes your stomach flutter and your eyes light up? Judge and Mrs. Granddad had the feeling and we could all sense it. That gives me hope. And reminds me not to settle.

Now, that was a more cheerful post, wasn’t it? I am off to another holiday party with attorneys and judges. Oh, the knee slappers I will hear tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home