Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Vote!

Just a friendly reminder to the few people that do read my blog to take some time today to VOTE!

Maybe because I am a dork, combined with the fact that I live in the Nation's capital, I felt a real energy at the polls this morning. Maybe only the diehards arrive at the polling place at 6:00 a.m., but most people I know are taking this election very seriously.

On Sunday, the pastor at my church said he didn't think the Church should get involved in telling people how to vote. In his thick Irish brogue, he directed people to an article in the Catholic newspaper for those who wanted guidance from the Church on issues on the ballot. There is a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage on the ballot in Virginia that the Catholic Church supports. But, in the end, he looked out at the congregation and said, "Just get out and vote. And for God's sake, if you aren't going to vote, then don't complain." Wise words, Father.

I caused a little bit of havoc at the polls this morning. Virginia has electronic voting which is very 21st century of the state, but the glare from the computer screen made it difficult to read. I actually had to tilt my whole body to the right and shield my eyes to read the ballot! I got a few weird looks for that. Then, when I went to select a Senator, the cuff of my jacket voted for the wrong Representative. I tried numerous times to de-select that Representative but the screen wouldn't let me. I called out in a panic for some assistance and was told to wait until the Summary screen and then I could make changes. Ok. I then continued making my selections and wound up at the Summary screen. But it wouldn't let me change then either! At this point, I was noticeably upset. I have been following the elections in Virginia closely and I did NOT want to vote for the guy I had selected. Finally, the poll gurus figured out what I was doing wrong and straightened me out. I was then able to hit the final "VOTE" button, confident in all my selections.

I hope everyone else has an easier and less eventful time at the polls. Just get out there and VOTE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home