Monday, November 06, 2006

Four Eyes

Well, my new glasses have finally arrived. Complete with bling and everything. I like them a lot. I do not, however, enjoy old men dressed from head to toe in denim informing me that no boy will hit on a girl with glasses.

I went back to my summer beach house this weekend to hang out with some friends. It was very fun - I actually painted pottery. My first attempt was a little ambitious - I tried to paint a set of coasters with the scales of justice on them as a Christmas present for my judge. Turned out to be quite the undertaking and ever critical of myself, I have a feeling I won't like them. I also made a serving plate for my court clerk - I stuck to sponge painting with that piece though and I actually think she will like it. I will post pictures for your viewing pleasure when I get the pieces back. Painting wasn't quite the relaxing hobby that I've been looking for, most likely because of my tendency to be uber-critical of everything I did. So, the hunt for a hobby continues. It may be working out, because I feel my body is rapidly deteriorating and soon, I won't be able to climb the stairs at work. Oh, who am I kidding - I almost always take the elevator. Must. join. gym. Even Roommate has joined the gym. For years, we were the only two females in our age bracket living in our yuppie neighborhood that did not join a gym. She has now abandoned me and turned over a fitness leaf. So, I am thinking of joining her. Sister is running a half marathon next spring and I think having a goal would really motivate me. I tried to run a marathon a few years ago, but training for the marathon while studying for the bar...not such a smart idea.

So, back to the guy in the denim suit. We arrived at the local brewery around 10:30. Of course, the cab taking us out waited until there were only 2 minutes left in the Wake Forest football game to FINALLY arrive. Luckily, the cab ride was brief, and with the commercials, time outs and a quick call to the Editrix, I didn't miss much. I made a beeline to the bar and positioned myself in front of the T.V., avoiding eye contact with the bartender and the other patrons. Mr. Denim turned to me and said "So, who's playing?" (As an aside, I really hate when people try to talk to me when it is incredibly obvious that I am intently focused on any type of game. Wait until a commercial. This message is for both cute boys and the Mr. Denims of the world. While I am more likely to tolerate a cute boy's infraction, I will still have missed part of the game).

I didn't even move my head, but answered "Wake Forest and Boston College."
"Oh, Boston College is going to win.", he replied smugly. With this remark, I turned towards him and said "There are 42 seconds left, Wake Forest is up a touchdown and has the ball, so I must disagree with you." With that, I turned my attention back to the T.V., and thought to myself, "He doesn't know this win is far from a sure thing, because this is my team we are talking about, and sometimes, they find a way to lose, even though the game seems completely locked up."

I remained calm, Wake Forest held on, and I focused my attention on my friends. Mr. Denim was still next to me, and when I turned to survey the crowd behind me, he saw an opening to start talking to me again.

"So, why are you wearing glasses?"

"Because I have an infection, and can't wear my contacts."

"Well, you are the only girl in here wearing glasses."

I shrug.

"I am just saying no guy is going to hit on a girl with glasses."

Ouch.

So, I am officially blaming my glasses for my love life barely having a pulse. Actually, that is completely untrue. The fact that my love life consists of watching the occassional cute boy walk past my office is because I just don't care. Well, that's not true. I do care about meeting a nice boy, but I am tired of trying. Going out to bars and tolerating the Mr. Denims of the world is just not all that fun. This is where someone tells me that in a few years, I will look back at all of this and laugh. Perhaps, but that doesn't make it any less painful now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home