Saturday, January 06, 2007

Can you feel the love tonight?

I was reviewing a particularly nasty divorce file on Thursday in preparation for the docket. In discovery, couples going through a divorce submit requests for information to each other to help prepare their respective cases. In the case before me, the Wife asked the Husband to list what he thought were her contributions to the marriage over their two year marriage.

Below is Husband’s exact reply:

1) She did her own laundry.
2) She found us some good bookshelves back in 2004.
3) She took me to the metro once.
4) She cooked five tasty and/or edible meals during the course of the marriage.


What’s that saying about never asking a question you don’t want to know the answer to? Yeah, I think it applies here.

Thursday night was the annual law clerk/judge holiday party. All of the former law clerks are invited and there is a competition complete with a crown for the judge who is able to cajole, persuade, and in some cases, threaten the most law clerks to attend. Judge Socially Awkward was this year’s champion. AGAIN. My judge’s law clerks put in a respectable showing but it was no match for Judge SA. I call him Judge SA because well, he just is so awkward. His law clerk was out sick one day and she emailed him to say she forgot to do something. His reply? "You've been a very bad girl, Law Clerk." Weird, right? Like maybe creepy old man scolding a young girl is not okay?

As one of the current law clerks was thanking everyone for coming, my judge yelled out, “We are glad to have you here as long as you’ve finished the docket for tomorrow!” Yeah, that’s my boss. Although he did compliment me to some of the former law clerks. Well, he told them I was overworked. Not “She’s overworked but handling it so well” Or even “She’s overworked but I appreciate everything.” Just “she’s overworked.” I was told by those who heard him talking that it was meant as a compliment and really with my Judge, I should take that as one. He is not into a whole lot of praise, or even gratitude. I am expected to do everything I do. And normally, I do everything with a smile. But occasionally, when other law clerks skip out early or drop the ball and I am left to answer for it, my patience is tried. I am trying not to let that happen though. Because this is the greatest job and I know I will miss it terribly when I am gone. So, I am going to try and reign in my work whining. Anyone want to take bets as to how long that lasts?

1 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That husband is such an idiot -- he never should have given her credit for finding the bookshelves, he's going to want those when the assets are divided.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home