Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A little of both

Current Grievances:

1) An entire complaint typed in capital letters. Completely unnecessary. Capital letters are reserved for yelling and Owen Meany. Describing the details of a car wreck does not require such em-pha-sis.
2) Exclamation points used in a lame attempt to drive home a legal argument. Plaintiff does not state a cause of action! Defendant’s characterization of the argument is inaccurate! Is the attorney cheering for something? Expressing outrage? Or perhaps joy? Really, the exclamation points are perplexing.
3) One of the fifteen judges was just forced to retire because of Virginia’s mandatory retirement age for judges. His law clerk practically skipped by my office today around 3:00 pm and gloated, “I don’t have a judge so I might as well leave!” Or see if other people need help. People that will most likely have to miss the single most exciting football game in a certain school’s history. Ok, maybe it won’t be the most exciting football game as most commentators heavily favor Louisville. But still. A historic game? Most definitely. A once in a lifetime game? Perhaps.
4) The fact that I am missing the Orange Bowl. Or if I get to watch it at all, it will be by myself at my apartment. Rather sad way to spend such a historic occasion, don’t you think?

BUT the following things make me happy:

1) This Thursday night I will be reunited with my very fun former co-workers. We will sit at a table and gossip over beers. I absolutely cannot wait.
2) The big fancy firm called to set up Round 2 of interviews. Very exciting stuff. Especially since I had an awful dream on Sunday night that Round 2 took place at a bar and was a complete disaster.
3) My funny friend KS accidentally copied me on an email to her friend who happens to be hot. She called to apologize but I am hoping that the accidental email snafu finally gives me the courage to make eye contact rather than hide behind my files whenever I see him around the courthouse.

Well, it appears that grievances currently outweigh the non-grievances. But not by much! I hope that shows those who wish I would be more cheerful that I am indeed trying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home