Monday, January 01, 2007

Snap, snap

So, Friday was the last business day of 2006. And at the courthouse, that means one thing: Divorces! Every divorce decree in the building needed to be reviewed, modified, possibly subject to interlineations, and signed by the end of the day. My Judge, being a former divorce attorney, represented to the area’s domestic relations attorneys that the courthouse staff would do everything possible to get every divorce signed. Translate that into law clerk speak: Wednesday through Friday were hellish. I think I spoke with an attorney at every domestic relations firm in the area. I took divorces away from other law clerks because my Judge constantly reminded me how important it was to have everything signed. My Judge got off the bench on Friday around 12:45 p.m. I had taken a quick break to scarf down a salad and was heading back to the command center I had set up in the conference room when my Judge stopped me. My office just did not provide me with the space I needed. I had the Virginia Code opened to Title 20, post-its, “sign here” flags, green dots (don’t ask), checklists, and disposition sheets.

Judge told me that he had signed all of the orders in his office. He asked how many I had left for him to sign. I replied that I had about four more to go through and then I needed to check downstairs one more time to make sure that no more had come in that day. (As an aside, all he has to do is sign the order. I have to read the depositions, the complaint, check for service, check for certain statutory “buzzwords”…it is a bit of a process. He signs them. Oh, and dates them.) His response to what was an informative statement without annoyance or attitude completely caught me by surprise and quite frankly, almost got him decked. Rather than say anything, he just snapped his fingers at me. As if to say “Chop, chop.” Or maybe “Move it along.” Or possibly “Come here, girl and I will give you a treat.”

Am I a law clerk or his dog? For a few minutes, as I stared at him in utter disbelief, I was unclear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home