Friday, June 15, 2007

When asked...

How I’ve been doing lately, the following is my standard answer:

“You know that expression ‘burning the candle at both ends?’ Well, that’s what I’ve been doing and I am rapidly running out of wax.”

So, yeah. It has been a little crazy.

About two weeks ago, I boarded a plane [with the aid of some good anti-anxiety medication] and completed a half marathon in Vermont. Said half marathon was completed a solid twenty seconds faster than the goal I had set for myself. Said half marathon was also completed despite the abundance of large inclines, humid weather, and with blurry vision for the last few miles as my contact fell out around mile 11. When I went to sit down to remove the computer chip from my shoe, the blurred vision caused me to miss the chair by a few inches and fall over. I then spent about 20 minutes wandering around the post-race area with one hand covering my blind eye, searching for the three people I knew in a crowd of several hundred. But at least I finished that dang race.

And in some weird way, I got addicted to road races and have since signed up for two more. Which means more training. Which means more nights at the gym. After incredibly long days at work.

The jury was finally set in the capital murder case and they are currently deliberating the first phase of the trial, which is just straight up guilt/innocence. Will they go capital murder? Or just first-degree murder? I honestly have no clue. I’ve watched the vast majority of the trial, heard all the witnesses, the arguments, the evidence…and I have no guess as to the outcome.

Well, I did miss part of the trial. Because Judge asked me to take his car to get inspected. And of course, I said yes. Even though he told me I could say no. Could I really have said no? I mean, what would he have said if I said no? How awkward. What was also awkward was that it cost me $28 and I needed to get paid back. Thankfully, he remembered pretty promptly but can you imagine having to remind your boss that he owes you money?

So, that’s pretty much my story for the last few weeks. I sit in court all day long [OH! Point about that. My Judge is an awesome guy who sometimes drives me crazy, but really he is a great guy. He has set me up in court so I am actually sitting on the bench, right next to him. So, I can hear all the bench conferences, see all the evidence up close, and still e-mail during court. The funny part is that there is a sketch artist in the courtroom who has been drawing me! You would think that would inspire me to get up early and actually blow dry my hair, but so far, it hasn’t.]. Besides work, and now running, I don’t have much to report.

I will try and work on that.

1 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger A. Marigold said...

Where ya been?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home