Monday, April 17, 2006

Unrelated Revelations

I do not want to be 16 again. As you probably deduced from an earlier post, 16 wasn't a great year for me. And I definitely don't want to be 16 in today's day and age. Wow, I sound like my grandmother. Roommate has a 16 year old sister who, along with a friend and Roommate's mom, stayed at our apartment this weekend. Roommate's mom is taking the two 16 year olds to Myrtle Beach for the week. Roommate's mom, as an aside, is saintly. Can you imagine taking two teenagers to the beach?? Each girl spent a significant amount of time on our computers and their cell phones. When I arrived home Saturday night, Little Sister's Friend was on the phone with her boyfriend, warning him that she may have too much fun on vacation to call him every night. Apparently, his reaction was not as she hoped, because she promptly hung up the phone and moaned to Little Sister that he told her that he wouldn't care if she didn't call while she was gone. These are the tragedies of a 16 year old girl's life. I bit my tongue from warning the teens that boys, unlike wine, don't improve with age. Also, is it weird that I desperately wanted to sit both girls down, tell them to not have sex (if they haven't already!!), not to post their pictures on MySpace, don't accept drinks from strangers, study hard, and be nice to their parents? I resisted but I couldn't help let a very uncool "have fun and be careful" slip when I left for work this morning.

I have horrible music tastes. I am just not that into music. Right now, my Ipod is rocking out to Journey's Don't Stop Believin. I probably should be embarrassed. But I am not.

My parents have horrible traveling karma. They always hit the most ridiculous traffic. What for me is a four hour ride home for them, is inevitably a six hour slow crawl. Their karma was in full force on this most recent journey to visit my sister and I this past weekend. They woke up Friday morning, packed the car, and the car wouldn' start. My parents'car is only a few years old and has low mileage. Four hours later, they were in the second rental car on their way to DC. The first rental car they were given was making strange noises and my dad refused to rent it. Thank goodness - my parents might not have made it through two car breakdowns in one day. I think they need to start taking the train down here.

DC has been taken over by tourists. Saturday was one of those gorgeous DC spring days that make us natives smile while at the same time scowl at all the tourists taking over *our* city. Since my parents were in town, I had to venture down to the tourist trap that is the National Mall. My parents had never seen the World War II Memorial and it is definitely worth braving the tourist crowds to check out. There is a huge fountain in center of the Memorial and despite the unequivocal signs prohibiting wading, many kids (and adults!) were treating the Memorial like the neighborhood swimming pool. My father fumed. And while I often write off my dad' complaints to him turning into a grumpy old man, I agreed with him. I realized it was a warm day but letting your child strip dofountainfrolic in the fountan?? I am not kidding - there were little kids, without clothes on, swimming in the Memorial' fountain. Maybe I too am turning into a curmudgeon at the age of 27 but show some respect.

Since I have no work to do this morning, I have been scouring the Post for new and fun things to do in DC. Six years here, and I've never been to Eastern Market. I think I might remedy that this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home